|Title: Fadha’il al-Qur’an wa M’ālimuhu wa ‘Adabuhu (فضائل القرآن ومعالمه وآدابه)|
|Author: Al-Qāsim ibn Sallam ibn ‘Abdullah Abū Ubayd al-Harawi (أبو عبيد القاسم بن سلام الهروي)|
|Subject: Qur’an, Ulūm al-Qur’an, Fadha’il al-Qur’an|
|No. of Volumes: 1 | No. of Pages: 476|
Fadha’il al-Qur’an is a primer on the subject of the virtues and excellent qualities of the Qur’an by Imam Abu Ubayd al-Qasim b. Sallam al-Harawi (rahimullah)(d. 224 AH). Abu Ubayd, may Allah (SWT) be pleased with him, was a great scholar of his time, a master of hadith and philologist. Ishaq Ibn Rahwayh is quoted to have said:”As Allah loves the truth, Abu `Ubayd is better versed and more knowledgeable in the Law than I.”- and Allah knows best.
In a recent study by Dr Khalid ibn Yusuf al-Wasil for JQRS1, Abu Ubayd has been chosen (for this book) as the first to have written about Qur’anic Sciences using the term ‘Quranic Sciences’ in its comprehensive application. On this he says:
I arrived at this conclusion on the basis of many points, the most prominent amongst them are the following:
1) Abu ĂUbaid’s precedence, scholarly status and his efforts in the field of Qur’anic Sciences compared with the prominent scholars of the second and third centuries. I concisely dealt with this issue in the first chapter.
2) Distinction of his book amongst those written by others. And among these distinguishing features are:
- The diversity of Qur’anic Sciences mentioned in it. This establishes the fact that this work deals with a variety of Quranic Sciences, not with just one science.
- The wording of the title of his book is suggestive of the term Qur’anic Sciences.
- Its explicit impact on later woks on Qur’anic Sciences whether dealing with multiple sciences or with a single science.
1: Journal of Qur’anic Research and Studies supervised by the Ministry of Islamic Affairs (K.S.A.)